Home International News Headlines International Sports News

The former Springbok Coach Nick Mallett has ruled himself out of contention to become a selector to the national team.

Earlier this month a reporter indicated that Nick Mallett and former centre Brendan Venter could become new Springbok selectors.

However,Coach  Mallett does not want the position of becoming a selector because he believes the only people who should be selecting the side are the coach, assistant coaches and the director of rugby.

Mallet told Rapport  “I will probably not be available because of that, as well as limited time”.

Ian McIntosh and Peter Jooste were Bok selectors until the end of 2015, but have been informed that their tenures had ended.

Former fast bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe has confirmed that he is being investigated for match fixing by Cricket South Africa (CSA), but denies having taken money from bookies to underperform.

Wisden India  was contacted by the Lions paceman  and confirmed that CSA had asked for his phone records and the like, but said further comments would go via CSA. Lonwabo Tsotsobe has taken time off from the Lions, but wouldn’t say why.

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed as the intermediary between the players and the Indian bookies, and has been banned from the game for 20 years. His role in approaching players to underperform for money, said former Lions batsman Gulam Bodi

Along with  fast bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe, who confirmed his part in the investigation, wicketkeeper Thami Tsolekile is also allegedly involved, though neither he nor CSA have commented. Cricket South Africa would not comment on Lonwabo either.

“There’s a lot of speculation going around. I’m not going to entertain anything but Cricket South Africa can do anything they need to do to check if we did any match-fixing with the people that they are investigating,the paceman told Wisden India:

The paceman told Wisden India “I’ve given them everything they want. My phone bills, my messages, my bank accounts, everything. They said they would get back to me.”

When asked whether he met with any of the bookies, he added: “That we can discuss with Cricket South Africa. If you want to know anything more about what’s going on you can ask them.”

As for his current hiatus from the Lions, for whom he last played in December, he said: “I just feel that there’s a lot that’s going on in my life.

“I’ve spoken to the coach and he’s the one who gave me the time off. I don’t have to explain myself to any other person. If the CEO and the coach know, then I think I’m cool.”

The University of Cape Town has got a court interdict against 16 students, including Eskom chief executive Brian Molefe’s son, following violent campus protests.

The UCT decided to approach the Cape Town High Court on Wednesday after busts were damaged, and paintings, a Jammie shuttle bus and a bakkie were set alight.

The office of the Vice chancellor Max Price’s was petrol bombed.

There were eight people who were arrested. One of them was not a student at UCT.

Molefe was seen posting bail for his son Itumeleng at the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court where he and others appeared on charges of public violence and malicious damage to property.

“We’ve had discussions about this and he has his views; I’ve got my views about it but I support my son,” Molefe told reporters after their appearance in court.

On Monday, the students decided to erect a shack on Residence Road and cordoned off an area, calling it Shackville. Their actions were intended to highlight accommodation shortages in residences, which they said did not affect white students. They claimed that black students were being treated badly.

But Price, at a press conference later on Wednesday, said in 2015 over 75% of students living in the university’s residences were black and the number was expected to be higher this year.

Mourinho to take over the ropes for Van Gaal1

An unidentified source said to be very close to Jose Mourinho was quoted saying that Jose’s place as Manchester United couch Next season, Is a “Done Deal.”


The 53year old Portuguese Couching Genius was recently sacked by Chelsea In December, but later said in an interview last week that he would soon be back in management, preferably in England.


The former Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Porto coach looked very sure of his statement but wouldn’t disclose which team he would take on, as he said this with a very cheeky smirk on his face.

Mourinho to take over the ropes for Van Gaal2

Current coach Louis Van Gaal who has one more year left on his contract with The Red Devils; Manchester United, has been dealing with this current speculation for a while now. The Dutchman said to the media on Sunday; “I believe reports of negotiations between United and Mourinho are just an invention of the media.”

Malaysia holding back visas from Israel table tennis team

The next storm involving Israel, Malaysia and sport is already brewing, with the blue-and-white table tennis squad still waiting to receive visas for the World Table Tennis Championships to be held in Kuala Lumpur in February.

The Israeli association has been working with its Malaysian equivalent over recent months to solve the matter, but the issue has yet to be resolved.

Israeli windsurfers Yoav Omer and Noy Drihan did not have an opportunity to defend their titles at the Youth Sailing World Championships in Langkawi, Malaysia last week after the Israel Sailing Association said that it will not be participating in the event due to the demands made by the organizers and the fact the surfers had yet to receive visas.

Cristiano Ronaldo Hits Third Hat-trick in Five Games

Cristiano Ronaldo took his tally for the La Liga season to a phenomenal 13 goals in six appearances with his third treble of the campaign as Real Madrid romped to a 5-0 win at home to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

A rampant Ronaldo, who equalled the La Liga record of 22 hat-tricks jointly held by Alfredo Di Stefano and Telmo Zarra, nodded Real in front from Gareth Bale’s lofted centre in the third minute at the Bernabeu.

Karim Benzema made it 2-0 four minutes before halftime when he headed home at a corner and Bale sped clear to set up Ronaldo for his second 10 minutes into the second half.

The Portuguese World Player of the Year unselfishly squared for Benzema to make it 4-0 in the 69th and completed his treble two minutes from time when the ball bounced off his body into the net.

Only a series of superb stops by Gorka Iraizoz in the Bilbao goal prevented a total embarrassment for the struggling Basque side as Real provided more evidence they have put an early-season stumble firmly behind them.

“We still have room for improvement,” Ronaldo, clutching another match ball for his growing collection, said in an interview with Spanish television broadcaster Canal Plus.

“The team played a good match and scored five goals without conceding, we are very pleased,” added the 29-year-old.

The victory lifted Real above Atletico Madrid into fourth place on 15 points following the champions’ 3-1 reverse at Valencia on Saturday.

Barcelona lead on 19 points and became the first team to avoid conceding in their opening seven La Liga games thanks to Saturday’s 2-0 success at Rayo Vallecano.

Valencia are second on 17 points and Sevilla a point further back in third after they thrashed promoted Deportivo La Coruna 4-1 earlier on Sunday helped by a brace from Cameroon midfielder Stephane Mbia.

Bilbao, without a win in seven matches in all competitions and beaten 2-1 at BATE Borisov in the Champions League on Tuesday, are 18th on four points.

Mbia opened the scoring for Europa League champions Sevilla, who were trounced 4-0 at Atletico last weekend, with a 24th-minute header before Haris Medunjanin levelled for Depor with a superb free kick in the 31st.

Carlos Bacca, who had a second-half penalty saved, made it 2-1 six minutes before halftime, Mbia smashed in his second in the 57th and Vitolo netted Sevilla’s fourth in the 63rd after a fine solo run by the excellent Gerard Deulofeu.

In Sunday’s other games, Villarreal won 3-1 at Celta Vigo and Espanyol beat visiting Real Sociedad 2-0.

Champions League - Milan's San Siro stadium to host 2016 final

UEFA has confirmed that Milan’s San Siro stadium has been chosen to host the 2016 Champions League final.

The Italian venue previously staged the European Cup final in 1965 and 1970 and the Champions League final in 2001.

European football’s governing body also announced that St Jakob-Park in Basel, Switzerland has been selected to host the 2016 Europa League final.

The Europa League final will be held on 18 May 2016, with the Champions League final taking place 10 days later.

Milan’s previous European Cup/Champions League finals

1965 European Cup final Inter Milan 1-0 Benfica
1970 European Cup final Feyenoord 2-1 Celtic (aet)
2001 Champions League final Bayern Munich 1-1 Valencia (aet) Bayern Munich won 5-4 on penalties

The 2016 Uefa Super Cup match will be held in Trondheim, Norway.

Messi, Neymar fit for Barca's La Liga game against Bilbao

Barcelona forwards Lionel Messi and Neymar are fit for Saturday’s La Liga game at home to Athletic Bilbao, with manager Luis Enrique saying on Friday that he has an almost complete squad to choose from.

Messi has been recuperating from an adductor muscle injury, while Neymar missed Barca’s season-opening win at home to Elche due to an ankle problem and only played the final half-hour of the victory at Villarreal in their second outing.

“Neymar is in optimal condition, like almost all the players,” Luis Enrique told a news conference previewing the game at the Nou Camp.

“Messi has been working on the sidelines all week and later on joined his team mates,” added the former Barca and Spain midfielder, who took over from Gerardo Martino at the end of last term.

Midfielder Andres Iniesta and defenders Thomas Vermaelen and Jeremy Mathieu have also been struggling with minor niggles but trained on Friday as Barca prepare to meet a strong Bilbao side that Luis Enrique called “the best at pressuring in attack”.

Barca are the only team in the Spanish top flight to have won their opening two games as they seek to improve on last season’s second-placed finish to Atletico Madrid.

“Pressure and strategy are two of their (Bilbao’s) great weapons,” the coach added. “We will try to counteract that and the players have been warned.

“They don’t hesitate. They go on the attack and dominate many aspects of the game.”

Bilbao finished fourth last season and are one of four Spanish teams competing in the latest edition of the Champions League, along with Barca, holders Real Madrid and Atletico.

Despite their on-pitch travails last season, Manchester United on Wednesday announced a 19 percent rise in annual revenue to a record £433.2 million ($698.8 million, 539.6 million euros).

United floundered in their first season after the retirement of long-serving manager Alex Ferguson, finishing seventh in the Premier League and sacking his successor, David Moyes, but they continued to thrive commercially.

The club reported a 49 percent increase in sponsorship revenue — helped by a blockbuster £750 million 10-year deal with Adidas — and recorded a profit of £23.9 million.

“We are very proud of the results achieved in fiscal year 2014 as we once again generated record revenues,” said executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward in a statement.

“With Louis van Gaal at the helm as manager, and the recent signing of some of the world’s leading players to further strengthen our squad, we are very excited about the future and believe it’s the start of a new chapter in the club’s history.

“Louis’s footballing philosophy fits very well with Manchester United and he has an impressive track record of success throughout his career, winning league titles with every club he has managed.”

Partly due to their non-participation in the Champions League, United expect their income to fall to between £385 million and £395 million over the course of the current season.

But they invested around £150 million on new players during the close-season transfer window, including a British-record £59.7 million swoop for Argentina international winger Angel di Maria.

The figures released on Wednesday also revealed that United paid out £5.2 million in compensation to former Everton manager Moyes, who was dismissed in April, and some members of his coaching staff.

United are without a win after three Premier League games this season and were knocked out of the League Cup following a 4-0 loss to third-tier Milton Keynes Dons.

But they could hand debuts to new signings Radamel Falcao, Luke Shaw, Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind in Sunday’s home game with Queens Park Rangers.

error: Content is protected !!